Saturday 30 July 2011

Why I Believe Everyone Should Check Out the BBC's LUTHER, Starring Idris Elba!


When it comes to my favourite shows, my all time favourites have come out of the States/Canada!  We're talking The X Files, LOST, Twin Peaks, V, My So-Called Life, Felicity, Family Guy, American Dad and most recently Sons of Anarchy and Justified!  The UK has had some belters over time, including Spaced, The Inbetweeners and Skins.  None however even hold a torch to the downright fucking awesomeness of the BBC's Luther!  A show that I have been getting more and more of my American friends to check out and one that they're all coming back to me thanking me for introducing them to it!  The reason why they all come back to thank me is because the show is fucking perfect!  It is one of those shows that leaves you craving more and when it ends you kind of feel sick that you have no more to look forward to for another year!  And oh how that year passes painstakingly slowly!

So what makes Luther different from your other bog standard crime dramas??  Two words...IDRIS ELBA!!!  Combine that with amazing writing and direction as well as a great support cast and you have a top notch show, and one to rival any of the best of the best of zee Yankee Doodle Dandy shows!


The character of DCI John Luther is a horribly complex one, this is an incredibly disturbed man, one with about as many inner demons as the people he sets out to catch!  This however is what makes him such an amazing detective.  Where other detectives would fail to understand the inner psychosis of criminals, Luther gets in there nice and deep like...I'm talking 'bout balls deep...haha!  This is an intense show and despite the seasons being criminally short, each episode packs more into it than many shows do in several episodes.  And what is hard to believe, as amazing as Season 1 is...Season 2 is even better!  The show is intelligent and brutal to a point that you think, holy crap, the BBC are actually airing this at 9pm!?!!


With some brilliant supporting females, this show has the girl power kick too which I always love!  Ruth Wilson as the wonderfully macabre, twisted and scarily intelligent Alice Morgan (pictured above) is always a pleasure to watch.  And the introduction of Aimee-Ffion Edwards as teenage runaway Jenny Jones (pictured below) in Season 2 gave us yet another great female character that was not only fantastic in her own right, she also gave us further insight into Luther as a character and a detective as well.


One thing that I hadn't even thought about but after reading blogs and articles online in relation to the show realised, it's a rarity for a show such as this to have a black detective in the lead.  I've been so compelled with the show, and love Idris Elba so much that I hadn't even thought about that.  It's a good point, however when you have an actor of such caliber as Elba, you don't even think about colour...and neither you should.

So yes, for those of you out there who still need to get the Luther bug, I urge you to do so NOW!  I don't want to give away too much about the show so it's best you just check it out for yourself.  I promise you won't regret it...and if you do you have my permission to slap me!  That's how sure I am that you will find it awesome! ;)  If you want to check out previous blogs I've done on the show you can find them here, here and here!

2 comments:

  1. You rock Jennifer. What an amazing post. You lucky girl to have seen season 2 already. I can't stand all this waiting for BBC America to show it here in America. But thank you for this well written article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monty, the same for you in the total rock status! :) And I can't wait for you to see it, you're gonna LOVE IT!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

The comments section is there to discuss and converse. Constructive criticism is always good, bad mouthing people and being a douche is not! So don't be a douche, mmmm'kay!